the royal 'we' / the royal 'you'?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: the royal 'we' / the royal 'you'?

Post by trolley » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:21 am

That's funny, Erik. I just had a conversation with someone a few days ago about Doctors and the "power position". When I was younger, I had a doctor whose practice it was to make me strip down to my underwear every time I went to see him about something. The nurse would take you into the room and instruct you.
"Now, take off all your clothes, except your underpants, and lie on the table. The doctor will be in shortly."
"But I just want to talk to him about my ankle..."
He would come into the exam room, stand over me and have a conversation. I'm not particularly bashful or modest but this unnerved me to no end. He held power because of his education, his age, the fact that he knew things I couldn't possibly know, his authority, etc. He was powerful, mysterious and I felt defenseless lying there on my back, practically naked. I don't know if he was even aware of any of this but I suspect he was. I still suffer slight anxiety going to see a doctor, even though no Doctor I've seen in the past fifty years has acted that way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: the royal 'we' / the royal 'you'?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:28 am

I wonder whether he subjected his male patients to this preamble partly in order to give himself cover for routinely seeing his female patients when they were topless.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC