Discuss word origins and meanings.
Post Reply


Post by tony h » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 am

I have known, for a good half century, that an Indenture was a sort of contract. And that Indenture could cover "employment", property purchase, investment. In fact pretty much anything.
It has also occurred that indenture sounds a bit like all sorts of other words.
And that Indentures are often quite impressive documents.

The OED states:
a. A deed between two or more parties with mutual covenants, executed in two or more copies, all having their tops or edges correspondingly indented or serrated for identification and security. Hence, A deed or sealed agreement or contract between two or more parties, without special reference to its form.
Originally both copies were written on one piece of parchment or paper, and then cut asunder in a serrated or sinuous line, so that when brought together again at any time, the two edges exactly tallied and showed that they were parts of one and the same original document: hence the expression ‘pair of indentures’. Occasionally a word, sentence, or figure was engrossed on the space where they were divided, as in the space between a bank cheque and its counterfoil.
The earliest sense, and apparently of English or Anglo-Norman origin.

This is a classic Indenture

This is a more complex one with several pages sewn and sealed
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post Reply