Miles

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Miles

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:21 pm

A: Planning on using American Airlines to fly internationally? Think again.

B: I avoid flying with AA especially international ones. Same with United Air. Not only that I don’t even have any miles with them.

- Hi guys! I know "mile" is equal to "1760 yards". But the whole sentence "Not only that I don’t even have any miles with them." really confuses me. I guess it means "Just because I have never flown with AA and United Air.". Is it correct?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Miles

Post by BonnieL » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

I don't fly, but I think that's bonus miles - a credit for free travel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:14 pm

The miles being referred to are so-called air miles (also known as frequent-flyer miles). These are credits awarded by some airlines to passengers when they fly with them. The credits can be redeemed as full or partial payment for further flights once enough qualifying credits have been collected. They are designed as incentives to motivate people to keep flying with the awarding airline rather than with its competitors.

Person B's words could be formulated more precisely and comprehensibly as follows:

"I avoid flying with AA [American Airlines], especially on international flights. Same with United [Airlines]. Not only that, I don’t even have any air miles from them."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:27 am

BonnieL and Erik : Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC