Bloody hell

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bloody hell

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi everyone! Yesterday I watched a clip about America's Got Talent. In the clip, a 13 year old girl performed a great song. When the song ended, the judge, Simon Cowell said "bloody hell for me" and then gave some good remarks about the girl's performance.

I only found the meaning of "bloody hell" online. What does "bloody hell for me" mean in this case? Do you think Simon was quite rude and out of line when he said "bloody hell" in front of a 13 year old girl and in a renowned TV show like this?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bloody hell

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm

The exclamation "Bloody hell!" can be used in a wide variety of situations, ranging from shock, surprise and dismay to approval and admiration.

In the context you described, I take "Bloody hell for me" as an expression of admiration from Simon Cowell. This may make his utterance a bit easier to follow:

"Bloody hell!" [ in admiration] for me [= {from / on the part of} me]

Given the secular nature of most western societies these days (with the ostensible exception of the United States), I don't think many people there would find "Bloody hell!" offensive. These days, all of us, including children, are regularly exposed to material that potentially has much more power to shock than this, so I doubt that many 13-year-olds would bat an eyelid at what Cowell said.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bloody hell

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 am

Erik : Thank you so much for the answers you provide. They are helpful indeed.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC