Drunk

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Drunk

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi everybody! In my country when you join a party, some people will force you to drink beer or alcohol until you are drunk and you are allowed to go home. Of course you can refuse but they won't like you or will hate you or will even get angry or will say something that will get on your nerves. I know this sounds ridiculous, stupid and dangerous but it does happen in my country. Are the following sentences used correctly in this case?

1. You're not allowed to go home if you don't get drunk.
2. No drunk no go home.
3. You cannot go home unless you are drunk.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Drunk

Post by tony h » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:34 pm

They all get the message across. But they all sound odd.

In England you would be more likely to hear, "come on have a drink and join in the fun".

But, I am also experienced in saying, "You are not in a fit state to go home." Note that not-in-a-fit-state often equates to "drunk" but not exclusively so. It may also include reasons of : tiredness, emotion, injury etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm

It is not something that my generation in Wales encouraged. We would get merry certainly, but being drunk was actually frowned upon. I believe that nowadays younger people may feel and act differently.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm

There are plenty of things that my generation thought differently about, years ago, but then we grew up. I wonder how Pete and Roger really feel when they sing that song, today.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 am

Which is your country?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

I do remember in Japan it was de rigeur to be drunk after the business celebration. You would see the locals staggering out of the building, clutching at walls. But, as soon as they were out of sight of the door, they stood up straight and walked off sober as anything. It was all an act.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm

tony h, Bob and trolley : Thank you guys very much for your answers. gdwdwrkr : My country is Vietnam.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Thank you Stevenloan.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC