On the side

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

On the side

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am

Hi everybody! My sister is very sad these days. Her husband usually gets home very late at night and doesn't pay attention to her. I tell her that maybe he has a secret girlfriend. Are the following two sentences used correctly in this situation?

1. He probably has someone on the side.
2. Maybe he has a side chick.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: On the side

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm

"He probably has someone on the side". A bit blunt there Steven. Perhaps something along the lines of, "You don't think that he is seeing someone?" might be a bit more gentle.
I have never heard the expression "a side chick" before.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm
I have never heard the expression "a side chick" before.
Bob, neither had I. But, it appears to be a type of mistress: ... https://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Side-Chick
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 pm

tony h wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm
Bob, neither had I. But, it appears to be a type of mistress: ... https://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Side-Chick
We have an expression here that sums up my thinking on the word, "Well! There you are then!*.
I don't think that my vocabulary will be expanding to make room for that one. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I have this dreadful vision of going into MacDonald's and being asked "do you want a side chick with that?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Phil White wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 pm
I have this dreadful vision of going into MacDonald's and being asked "do you want a side chick with that?"
To which I assume you would wittily reply "Maybe, once I get a sidecar for my motorbike".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Bob, tony h, Phil White and Erik : Thank you all very very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC