Book

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Book

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:22 am

Hi guys! What do you call the red thread stuck to the book? It's used to mark the page you want to continue reading.

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Book

Post by trolley » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 pm

The word "thread" usually means an individual strand or fibre (filament) that can be woven into larger pieces of material.Those woven pieces have many different names, depending on their shape or purpose. The thin, flat strip in your photo would probably be called a "ribbon". I'd go with "ribbon bookmark" or "ribbon page-marker". I am unaware of any "official" name. I have only ever heard them described.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 pm

When the book includes a integral {fabric / ribbon} bookmark, the inclusion can also be described as a bound bookmark, because like the book's pages it has been bound into the book.

Bookmarks are also sometimes known as bookmarkers, which is an older term for them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Bibles often have bookmarkers bound in, often 2 or 3. Usually black then solid colours like red, green or blue.

A friend of my Grandmother's had a bible with a single white ribbon which, I was informed, meant that she was a supporter of the temperance movement. I had to find a dictionary for that one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:03 am

Thank you all very much for the terms. They really help.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC