with me

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

with me

Post by navi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 pm

1) Getting drunk ends badly with me.

Does this mean:
a) I end up badly when I get drunk
b) Things end up badly when I get drunk
c) People end up badly when they get drunk with me
d) People end up badly when they get drunk around me
e) Things end up badly when people get drunk around me

Is the sentence informal?

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: with me

Post by trolley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 pm

I couldn't say what that statement means. I've never heard "ends badly" expressed that way.
"Getting drunk (usually, often, always, sometimes) ends badly for me" is what I would expect to hear and the meaning is quite clear.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 pm

Getting drunk ends badly with me.

"with me " or "for me" are both meaningful. The difference between them seems to be more of a nuance. "With" seems to affect others more than me; "for" affects me more than others.

So, and having trouble with the examples:

- for : drinking alone, waking up completely hung over, and finding you have painted the flat with pictures of Fidel Castro in tomato sauce and mustard and Joe McCarthy is expected for breakfast.

- with : Got drunk with the firm's main client told them the product was a bag of s***, woke up with a massive hangover in the afternoon, found a text from work "client cancelled", you, your brother, your mother, your sister, your sister's husband, and your best friend are now out of work.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am

I would have warned my brother, mom, sister, and that lazy, loafing brother-in-law of mine that "getting drunk with me ends badly".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:33 pm

trolley wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am
I would have warned my brother, mom, sister, and that lazy, loafing brother-in-law of mine that "getting drunk with me ends badly".
getting drunk with me ends badly - they were drinking alongside me and I led but they all contributed to the stupid things that day.

getting drunk ends badly with me - they are tea total and were in church, tending to the needy and other good works ... while I was getting pissed as a newt and ruining their lives in the process.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC