Library ladder

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Library ladder

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call this kind of library ladder?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Library ladder

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:09 pm

When I hear the term library ladder I picture a ladder (typically wooden) that is wide at the base and tapers towards the top. It is also designed to be slid along the shelves to wherever it is needed.

What you have posted a picture of is not a ladder but a fixed staircase (i.e. it is permanently located in one spot). You could also refer to this structure as steps, but 'staircase' would be more usual. Specifically, it is a wrought-iron spiral staircase.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Steven, you have made me very happy!

As Erik says, what you show is a "spiral staircase". But it is not just any old staircase. It is THE spiral staircase in the single most beautiful room I have ever been in, namely the Long Room of the Old Library at Trinity College, Dublin.

When I first visited Trinity, I could have stayed in the Long Room for the rest of my life. Libraries, particularly old libraries are enchanting places for me, but I have never seen one as beautiful as the Old Library at Trinity. And what makes it even more magical is that the library also holds what is possibly the most beautiful medieval manuscript in the world, namely the Book of Kells. This page will give you just a little glimpse into the world of the Old Library at Trinity.

Thank you so much for posting that image. It has brought back many wonderful memories!

p.s. The picture of the Long Room on the page I linked to shows what I would call a "library ladder". It is used to reach books on the higher shelves and is often hooked onto a rail. The spiral staircase at Trinity takes you to the second floor.

p.p.s. To feast your eyes on the Book of Kells, go here (the famous portrait of St. John is 291v, but the illuminations on almost every page are a delight). Or even better, order the high-resolution DVD version of that. Or still better, go to Dublin and see it for yourself!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 am

Erik: Thank you very much for your answer. Phil White: Thanks a lot for your input and the links. It's good to know that the picture I posted made you very happy and brought back many good memories to you.

I wish I could go to Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England. I have watched clips of these countries on TV and Youtube and I like them so much. But it's just my dream because it's extremely difficult to get a visa to travel in these countries except when I have deep pockets.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

We would be very pleased to see you.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.