Babies' clothes

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Babies' clothes

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call this kind of clothes for babies?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Babies' clothes

Post by trolley » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 pm

That's odd. I was positive there was a special name that I just couldn't remember. Digging around on the internet, I can only find "bodysuit" but I'm sure we called them something else.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:31 pm

I quote from Wikipedia:
---------------------
An infant bodysuit is a garment designed to be worn by infants much like a T-shirt; they are distinguished from T-shirts by an extension below the waist, with snaps or Velcro that allow it to be closed over the crotch. The purpose of the opening at the crotch is to facilitate access to the infant's diaper. Like T-shirts, infant bodysuits come in a wide variety of designs and may be worn as undergarments or as outer shirts.

Well-known brands

Other names of this outfit include Onesies (a registered trademark often used in the United States as if it were generic[1][2]), creepers, diaper shirts, babygro, babygrow, mameluco or snapsuits. Babygro is also a trademark brand, invented in the U.S. in the 1950s by Walter Artzt.[3]
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:31 pm
I quote from Wikipedia:
---------------------
Other names of this outfit include Onesies (a registered trademark often used in the United States as if it were generic[1][2])
I've never heard of the brand Onesies, but I & every other mom I know calls them onesies. When I was new at dressing babies, I called the full-body onesies a mother's IQ test; after a long night and/or day, it was awfully hard to match up all those snaps. :shock:
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 am

You'd be surprised how often I've done up half the buttons on a shirt and realised that they're out of alignment by 1 hole! :D
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Babygrow - but I am not sure if they had to nave full arms an legs.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Dear guys! Thanks a lot for your input. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

End of topic.