What do Americans mean by Pantomime

Discuss word origins and meanings.

What do Americans mean by Pantomime

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm

I came across an article which stated that, for the 15th anniversary of the United Nations, Red Skelton said he was to do it all in pantomime. He then went on to say he had done pantomime in Tokyo, Hong Kong and other places.

I assume by his demeanour that this was not a reference to Aladdin, Jack in the beanstalk or any other stalwarts of the English Christmas panto' season.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: What do Americans mean by Pantomime

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 am

I'm pretty sure Red Skelton was referring to his mime sketches.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Tony h, you can view a YouTube video of Red Skelton's work at the United Nations by googling "Red Skelton pantomime." Oh never mind -- let me just do it for you. Enjoy!
Unfortunately, you have to tolerate a few minutes of vintage TV commercials.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 pm

To be brutally fair, I think the question should be "what do Brits understand by pantomime?".

For Brits, "pantomime" has lost its original meanings, all of which are related to narrating a story by dance or exaggerated body movement (and including what we would call "mime"). The only meaning we have in the UK is the Christmas ritual of comedic (I use the word with reservations) dramatizations of fairy tales etc. with stock characters and frightful jokes.

If our fellow wizards from the left of the Pond are unaware of this masochistic Christmas ritual, they would be advised to remain so. Nothing worthwhile can be gained from finding out about it other than a morbid fascination with ghastliness...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

But if you don't want to be a curmudgeon or ascribe to sourpuss Phil's "bah. Humbug." go and enjoy yourself. I remember my father's works pantomime production with great fondness. It was certainly one of the highlights of the Christmas season. I have rather less enjoyment of the modern big billed productions. We take the grandchildren every year to a smaller production and they thoroughly enjoy it. It started their love of theatre, their love of story telling and their love of reading.
This year they have asked to go to see a midsummer night's dream at our local-ish open air theatre. Maybe, one day, it will be Ibsen.

:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:14 pm

"Where's Peer Gynt?"
"He's behind you."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC