Hob

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: Hob

Post by Shelley » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:28 pm
Then I thought that making it a touch-screen would be cool. Except it gets real hot. Bad idea.
I hate to tell you how I tested the heat on the griddle when I was a hotel breakfast cook oh-so-many years ago. I didn't have to make that mistake more than once. Anthony Bourdain would have been very disappointed.

Reading this discussion, I realize that I've always said "hot plate" when I mean either a warming tray or a portable electric burner/coil that actually cooks food. THAT mistake I shall never make again!

Amen.

Actually, the mint-green cookstove in your hunker link looks familiar. I lived with one of those my senior year in college -- baked, cooked, broiled -- the works. It ran on gas, though, not wood.
AND, my family had a wood-burning stove, with hod, eyes and all, one summer when we were living in Helsinki. The landlord forbade us to use it, however, and had installed a two-burner hot-plate on the hod. We ate a lot of soup that summer. But we did have friends who used wood-burning stoves, and I brought back a kettle with an inch-wide "ledge" projecting all around the lower circumference, making it perfect for resting in the eye, in contact with the flame.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC