Incel and incel

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Incel and incel

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 pm

‘Incel’ and ‘incel’ are relatively new words which I had never heard before:
<2018 “Whether expressed in right-wing, left-wing, jihadist, or black nationalist ideological terms, today’s acts of political violence share a common lineage in the above mixture and together have resulted in almost 200 deaths since the 9/11 attacks. The death toll is even higher if one includes other deadly attacks with less traditionally political or clear motivations ranging from the new ideological misogyny of ‘incel’ violence … to a spate of deadly school shootings.”—CNN Fareed’s Global Briefing, 30 October>

Wiktionary:

incel noun (countable and uncountable, plural incels):

1. (neologism, broadly) A person who is not sexually active despite desiring to be. <Another study by Donnelly of seventy-seven incels in marriages or long-term relationships in the Journal of Marriage and Family used a web-based questionnaire to ask people why they stayed in their sexless relationships (defined in this case as no sex for six months).—Love by Numbers: The Hidden Facts Behind Everyone's Relationships by Luisa Dillner, 2004, page 153>

2. (neologism, specifically) A member of a mostly online subculture of people (typically misogynistic straight men) who define themselves by being unable to find a sexual relationship despite desiring one.<Though, involuntary celibates (or incels) shouldn't try to rationalize a dateless season or pass off sexual awkwardness as virtue; . . . —The Modern Lover: A Playbook for Suitors, Spouses & Ringless Carousers by Phineas Mollod, Jason Tesauro, 2004, page 90>

3. (uncountable, seduction community, informal) ‘Involuntary celibacy’: the state of not being sexually active despite wishing to be.

incel adjective: (seduction community, neologism) Not having sexual relations despite wishing to. <People who are 'incel' are often suspected as being gay. It's annoying.—Usenet, 2001, 30 May>

Etymology: Blend of involuntary +‎ celibate. Coined in 1997 (originally invcel).

Also see Wikipedia’s Incel.

The following quotes are from archived sources:
<2018 “Alek Minassian - the 25-year-old who drove his van into pedestrians, killing 10 in Toronto last week - ticked every box for a lone wolf terrorist. He was a misfit, an outsider with a grievance, which he nursed until it turned into a rage. Then he took that rage to the internet where other misfits legitimised and politicised it, moulding it into an ideology of hatred. Minassian was radicalised, in other words, just like so many angry young men before him. The fact his radicalisation revolved around misogyny, as opposed to an antipathy for western culture or a particular ethnicity, wrong-footed some commentators. The likes of InfoWars editor Paul Joseph Watson and general rent-a-gob Katie Hopkins were so sure the perpetrator would be an Islamic jihadi, they didn't wait for confirmation before giving their verdict on social media. Incels (Involuntary Celibates) are a group of extremists who hate women for denying them the sex they believe they are owed and use this to justify violence against random individuals.”—Scotland on Sunday(Edinburgh, Scotland), 29 April>

<2018 “When Alana started a website for lonely people struggling to find love (n 1997), she had no idea it would become linked to a community of hate and anger directed at women (Incel]), which would ultimately lead to the deaths of several innocent people in her home city. . . . Nearly 15 years later, Alana was in a bookshop reading a feminist magazine when she saw a small story about a man named Elliot Rodger. Before his death, he had distributed a 141-page document exploring his deep-rooted loathing of women, fuelled by an intense frustration over his virginity. Now Elliot Rodger was being seen as a hero by some in the incel community. There was worse to come. In April 2018, a man from Toronto called Alek Minassian posted on Facebook: ‘The Incel Rebellion has already begun… All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!’”—bbc.com/news/world-us-canada, 30 August>

<2018 “In reading the comments on a Washington Post story on Kavanaugh's appointment, I encountered a word I'd never seen before: ‘incel.. There was a lot of sniping between Ford supporters and Kavanaugh supporters and at least one member of the Ford camp referred to the other side as ‘incels.. . . . If you've not encountered this yet, it's not as benign as it might seem. It's an online subculture of men who want to have a sexual partner but can't attract one. On one end of the spectrum, it's men who are very introverted or who have social anxieties or issues with body dysmorphia and self-worth. On the other end, it's characterized by extreme misogyny, unhinged masculinity and advocacy for sexual violence.”—Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL), 17 October>

Ken Greenwald – October 31, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Incel and incel

Post by Phil White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 am

Thanks for that, Ken.

What an entirely ghastly development, of which I was entirely unaware.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

it is odd isn't it? When I was young there were plenty of men and women who desired a mate but didn't have one. They seemed quite normal and accepting of the situation. With incel there seems to be an implied social right, or at least expectation, to have sex.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Don't get me started, Tony...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC