Hyper/Hypo

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Hyper/Hypo

Post by trolley » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:04 pm

I was watching an old (1951) movie the other night and they showed a newspaper with this (or some similar) headline: “Calhoon’s Tour Hypoed by Hollywood“. Hypoed didn’t really seem to fit the bill. They were trying to promote the tour and, although I’d never seen the word “hypoed” before, it sounded like the opposite of what they were trying to do. I would have said “Calhoon’s Tour Hyped by Hollywood”. Then it occurred to me that hyped really doesn’t indicate above or below as do hyper and hypo. From what I can gather, it seems that hyped (in the sense that I was thinking of) was originally “hyped up”. At some point it was shortened to hyped and retained its meaning of elevated or exaggerated and was probably related to hyperbole. The “hypo” in the headline that seems to mean the same as “hyper” is claimed to be from “hypodermic”….the idea of giving a shot or injection to enhance, excite or raise the level of something. That seems like an odd stretch. Not all hypodermic shots are going to amp things up. A shot of Valium or Seconal isn’t going to create much excitement.
Last edited by trolley on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Hyper/Hypo

Post by tony h » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Interesting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 pm

I looked it up & there isn't much on it - I think it might have morphed into "hyped" too quickly to make much of an impact. And you're right - it does seem to go either way in the examples I found.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:57 pm

John,

I agree with you. i If I saw "“Calhoon’s Tour Hypoed by Hollywood“ without knowing they were trying to promote the tour, I would infer it might mean "panned by Hollywood" since the prefix "hypo' means below, beneath, under, less than normal, deficient. However, as you pointed out and American Heritage Dictionary says: hypo - To stimulate by or as if by hypodermic injection: "pandering to community fears in order to hypo ratings" (Variety).

I think "hypoed' is confusing, ugly and to be avoided! :evil:

Ken Greenwald - October 23, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 am

"Hypo", in connection to acting, lives-on, the actors of ancient Greece being called "hypocrites", interpreters from underneath[masks]...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC