Female hierophant ?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Female hierophant ?

Post by Loveslobsters » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 pm

I'm trying to discover if a female hierophant would have a different title , perhaps a variation. I realize the originals were Greek priests, wise men who interpreted sacred mysteries. My knowledge of the Greek language is zilch.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Female hierophant ?

Post by Shelley » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:53 pm

A Podess. No, that's wrong. Never mind. I thought you said hierophant seals.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Female hierophant ?

Post by zmjezhd » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 am

I've seen hierophantess used in English. The Greek form could be hierophantissa.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Female hierophant ?

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:00 am

.. OUCH !!! .. Loveslobsters in this day of squeaky clean politically correct non-sexist language you surely aren't suggesting or implying that there should be a separate female form of a word ?? .. OMG thou shalt bring down the wroth of many here for such blasphemy .. banished are actress, waitress, conductress, priestess and any other -ess word that might belittle and enslave women in some kind of subordinate role .. so it is obvious from all this that there could not possibly be a term such as hierophantess .. but I do think that Prince Di does have an unusual way about it .. ok ok ok so what kind of -ist am I this time .. *laughing* ..

WoZ of Aus 15/02/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Female hierophant ?

Post by WeWithTorches » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Hierophantide is the word you were seeking so long ago. The plural is hierophantides.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Female hierophant ?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Hierophant = Pachyderm matriarch.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC