looking for a word for 'creating a word'...

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by sleeper54 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:46 am

hey there all.

A 'wordwizard newbie' here . . .looks like an interesting site and useful resource.

I am looking for a word that is defined as 'creating a new word' or 'a created word'. I would swear I had recently seen something like this but dang if I can remember (or find!) it..!

Anyway . . .glad to find the site and I am sure I will be back to participate as I find time, interest, and need.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given . . ..

...tom...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:59 am

Tom, 'neologizing' and 'neologism' may be what you're after.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:27 pm

.. sleeper ..
Source: Compact Oxford English Dictionary
coin: verb 1 make (coins) by stamping metal. 2 Brit. informal earn (large amounts of money) quickly and easily. 3 invent (a new word or phrase).

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
coin: TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: coined, coin·ing, coins
1. To make (pieces of money) from metal; mint or strike: coined silver dollars. 2. To make pieces of money from (metal): coin gold. 3. To devise (a new word or phrase).
.. so there you go a different word to Erik's ..

WoZ of Aus 20/03/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by minjeff » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:22 pm

Why not just create our own word for "create a word"?

I suggest 'palabrosynthesis' for the word created and 'palabrosynthesize' (or -synthesise for UK) for the verb form.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Why would we want to? "Coin" is a great word, and nobody would ever argue over the spelling.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm

Although most users of the word misuse it after almost every hackneyed phrase. As in-correctly "a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush - to coin a phrase"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by sleeper54 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:20 pm

hey there again...

Thanks guys . . .and gals..??

Erik's suggestion of 'neologizing' and 'neologism' hits the target I was thinking of . . .but 'coin' is surely a simple word that would have fit.

I also like 'palabrosynthesis' . . .now if I can just get a few published uses of it . . . ...:smiliemoment:...

Thanks again all.

...tom...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 pm

.. why use a simple word when a diifficult one will impress? and confuse ..

WoZ of Aus 22/03/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC