Peekie or Peeky for vagina

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by incarnatus est » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:12 pm

In a Philadelphia, PA (USA) working class Irish Catholic household- I am male, born 1940 - the common household word for girls' (not women's) vaginas was pronounced "peeky" and I wonder why. I asked my Mom once when we were both old enough to ask/answer such queries. She said it was a peekaboo (!) type thing. I'm wondering if the term was peculiar to my family, or to our social class or ethnicity or has Ireland-Irish roots. Anyone else ever heard the term?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by incarnatus est » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:00 pm

Judging from the lack of responses, perhaps everyone thinks I'm joking. Or the expression was peculiar to my family.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 pm

.. do we call you inc for short ?? .. mate don't give up just yet .. the best of the researchers here will often take up to a week before they commit to post .. especially on a word that may be a local dialectal slang term for a child's vagina ..

Woz of Aus 05/02/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by incarnatus est » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Thanks wizard. The Incarnatus est is a joke of sorts...ex-catholic reference for "and the word was made flesh" ... I like the idea of words becoming reality...reification, I think it's called. Anyway, from seeing the growing number of persons who read the post and no one's having said they heard it, the chances grow that the expression was my mother's and not an Irish term.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Andrew Dalby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:39 pm

I just looked up 'vagina' in the on-line Irish dictionary here

http://www.crannog.ie/focloir.htm

There are two words given. 1. faighin is clearly borrowed from the Latin/scientific word vagina.
2. pit seems to be the common word, and I have checked it in my Irish-English dictionary. It's there all right, and it's real Irish. I think it is close enough that your mother's word may well come from it, but someone who knows how Irish words are pronounced and how they change within sentences (a big issue) could give a better opinion.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by incarnatus est » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Thank you, Andrew Dalby. We're getting a bit closer to what I hoped might be the case. My mother's explanation of it having a Peekaboo aspect to it might be one of those after-the-fact attempts to provide an etymology for an odd-sounding word. Her own mother emigrated to the States from Ireland (maiden name Devine, from Sligo, supposedly) on her own at the age of 12, perhaps around the years 1890-1900 and never went back. I offer this information as possibly useful if anyone who knows Irish can help.
.....as another, but related, issue it's interesting to me how some anatomical parts change their names as we mature (genitals, gluteals) and others (e.g. shoulder, ear, nose etc do not) and I wonder if it's because of a perceived change of form, or a change in function.
Thanks again,Signed: i.e.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC