knockoff / knock off

Discuss word origins and meanings.

knockoff / knock off

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:44 pm

We have a pair of knockers as well. Well I don't, I'm a bloke, ladies have them I'm pleased to say.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

knockoff / knock off

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:58 pm

.. tony .. I once applied for the position of knocker-upper at a stud farm .. but a bloody horse got the job .. ..

WoZ of Aus 22/03/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

knockoff / knock off

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:17 am

How speciest!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

knockoff / knock off

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am

Horseracist.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

knockoff / knock off

Post by tony h » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 am

Some one should be able to do better :

It was five O'Clock when he knocked off having knocked out a caption to accompany the knock out girl with the large knockers that adorned his page of the rag. He stopped by the market where he purchase a knock off Victorian knocker for his new front door. The last one had got damagd when he knocked about the knocker-upper who had knocked out his knock out daughter. Later he would go for a knock about with some friends he had knocked about with since school days, but afterwards they would sit in the bar and knock around some ideas for the game on Saturday. But just then there was a knock at the door. A friend was standing there "I am sorry for knocking like that but your knocker's knackered. I hope you can help. There is a knocking from the engine it started when I knocked over a knocker-upper who I saw leaving a knocking shop, he isn't dead, just knocked out.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

knockoff / knock off

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 am

When they were in the bar Tony, were they knocking back some knocked off whisky that the owner had bought from a smuggler at a knock down price?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

knockoff / knock off

Post by tony h » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:49 pm

maybe in the village of Knock with some knockwurst brought over from Germany.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

knockoff / knock off

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Knock knock...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

knockoff / knock off

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Who's there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

knockoff / knock off

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm

while waiting for knocker ID, I feel an urgency to warn all knockers to avoid ingesting tetraethyl lead, an antiknock agent used in gasoline. Knock on wood, we'll all avoid it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

knockoff / knock off

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:39 am

And then there's Ken Dodd.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

knockoff / knock off

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:48 pm

nicky-knocky-nine-doors
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

knockoff / knock off

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:20 pm

.. for those who are interested ..
nicky-knocky-nine-doors
Ringing random doorbells and running away. Called knockdown-ginger by posh kids and stories on Jackanory, and rat-tat-charlie in South Wales.

Caroline said she played the game we've listed as 'nicky-knocky-nine-doors' with some of her classmates who were the daughters of "squaddies " living on a forces housing estate in Wiltshire, UK, in the late 1970s. They called it called "Belfast" or perhaps " bell-fast". Whether this name had a conscious connection to tours of duty in Ireland I can't say.

Ed says another name is "ding-dong ditch'em".

Source: circa 1950's onwards, UK (NE)
.. hey we played that Downunder too but I don't know that we had a special name for it .. maybe "Run like buggary" .. *smile* .. ah the memories it brings back .. of course I only watched other kids do such a childish thing .. yeah right ....

WoZ of Aus 25/03/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

knockoff / knock off

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 pm

"Rat tat Charlie"? Never heard of it, and I have lived in South Wales all my life. We knew it as bobby knocking. Bit of a liability having my name in those circumstances!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

knockoff / knock off

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:13 am

And Tony, lest we forget, there is that old saw OPPORKNOCKITY TUNES BUT ONCE!

Ken G – March 28, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS