timeline vs. chronology

Discuss word origins and meanings.

timeline vs. chronology

Post by river » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:37 pm

Is there a difference in meaning or usage between timeline and chronology?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: river

timeline vs. chronology

Post by podictionary » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Chronology has a longer history, popping up before 1600 and originally referring to a study of and categorization of time. Timeline appeared first in 1890 according to the OED and was literally a line drawn by a pen. Strictly speaking chronology might have less of a transference to its current usage, but in most every day situations either one would do (my humble opinion).
http://www.podictionary.com the audio word-a-day
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

timeline vs. chronology

Post by mongrowl » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:05 am

I think there is a difference, that I can not defend with cite's or confirmation.A pragmatic distinction that can be drawn is that the ' time line ' can connote the "time" between events as long or short, where as the chronological "list" must be interpolated for the same information. In other words, the linear format says more about the time in between events. One is analogical while the other is digital. If someone says "line" when they mean "list", then it becomes a question of vocabulary and is problematic.
lneil
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All we can do is the Best we can do.

timeline vs. chronology

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:20 am

My understanding is that a timeline encompasses both a set of discrete events or processes and the duration of the intervals in between, and can relate equally easily to past events and to anticipated or projected future events. It can therefore be used as a planning or scheduling tool, and can also be the outcome of a systematic planning or forecasting process such as critical path analysis or even game theory.

A chronology, on the other hand, focuses on recording when a set of discrete events occurred in the past, and generally disregards the duration of the intervening periods.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

timeline vs. chronology

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Yes, Erik - SMP (the "School Maths {almost put a 'y' in there} Project") was very fond of using "time-lines" (and number-lines, mass-lines ...) as teaching aids. Many people find spatial representations of number-relationships easier to approach than number-relationships shown merely as numbers. Time intervals, where one has to work in two units in one's head, are well served by this approach.
For example, "A game starts at 10:25 am and ends at 3:10 pm How long does it last?"
looks better if recast:

35 min 4h 10 min
v ---------------- v ----------------- v ------------------ v
10:25 am 11:00 3:00 pm 3:10

After practice, the intention is for the process to be possible for the student without the need for the diagram - indeed, without the need for written working.
In non-maths usage, too, there is often an allusion to a notional time-line or timeline rather than to a hard copy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

timeline vs. chronology

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:27 pm

The program has scuppered my time-line!

~ . . . . . 35 min . . . . . . . 4h . . . . . . . 10 min . .
~ v ------------------ v --------------- v ---------------- v
10:25 am . . . . . 11:00 . . . . . . . 3:00 pm . .. . . .3:10

More TARDIS than WYSIWYG
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

timeline vs. chronology

Post by Phil White » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:08 pm

Edwin,
HTML standard, I'm afraid. Whitespace is merged to a single space. You can only avoid it by using non-breaking spaces. The code for each space is

(don't forget the semicolon!)
If you enclose the whole thing in a pair of

Code: Select all

tags, it also appears in Courier New, i.e. monospaced.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

timeline vs. chronology

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Where did I leave the scissors and glue...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC