Quality

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Quality

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:46 am

A: Why are cartoons in The New Yorker not funny to me anymore?
B: I don’t think it’s about tastes changing. I’ve been reading New Yorker for years and it seems that just recently, after years of clever cartooning, the caliber of quality has changed abruptly. I’m guessing that there’s a new cartoon editor, who has a lower bar of acceptability (cheaper?) of submitted cartoons.

- Hi guys! "caliber" means "the quality of someone or something". Is the word "quality" in B's answer redundant in this context?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Quality

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:41 am

You're right. It is indeed redundant, for the reason you hinted at.

Maybe Person B really meant criterion of quality (but misremembered the word), in which case the redundancy would be the result of a minor linguistic lapse.

I don't know when the text you excerpted was written, but I agree with B's point about the deterioration in quality of the cartoons in The New Yorker.

It is indeed correct that the magazine's former cartoon editor, Bob Mankoff, left that post in 2017. He was replaced by Emma Allen, who is about four decades younger and seems to have a very different perception of what's funny and what isn't.

I also have a personal axe to grind here, insofar as I have submitted numerous entries for the magazine's weekly caption competition and have usually been dismayed to discover each time that the ultimate winner is a lame and mediocre effort which pales alongside my own scintillating but unchosen contribution.

Oh well, it's just a cartoon...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Quality

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:32 pm

Erik : Thanks a lot for your informative answer. Have a great day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC