Crummy

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Crummy

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:01 am

Hi guys! The Internet connection has been a royal pain in quite a few countries lately. What common adjective do you use for a very bad Internet connection? Is it "flaky" or "crummy"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Crummy

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 am

This is undoubtedly a situation that is liable to attract countless candidates, partly because there are so many adjectives that would fit it, and partly because having a shitty internet connection is apt to provoke strong feelings in those who are relying on a connection to the internet for some purpose or other.

I have variously called it shitty, crappy, crummy, poor, terrible, spotty, awful, dreadful, feeble, appalling, unreliable and simply unstable — among many others, no doubt.

My selection depends on my mood and degree of irritation, the urgency with which I need to be able to send or receive the documents I am working on, and whether there happens to be somebody in the vicinity to share my griping with. 😛

Though it's not a question I would agonize over.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 am

It also depends on whether this a permanent or temporary thing.
I am not given to the colourful epithets of others but here are some words.

Our internet is flaky - a problem that is often the case at any time of day. It waxes and wanes in relatively short periods.
The internet is flaky - a temporary, but possibly recurring problem - typically as business start or people come home from work.

Our internet is poor - the internet will never operate at a decent speed. This will most likely be due to physical connections issues limiting the maximum speed.

The internet is rubbish or unreliable - frustrating to use. It might be ok for short periods but so unpredictable you couldn't expect to watch a film or run a business on it.

Crummy dose not really convey the problem.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 am

Erik and tony h : I can't thank you both enough. The answers you provided are helpful, indeed.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC