Coming through

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Coming through

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi guys! I'm carrying a large pot of hot soup from the kitchen to a big table in the garden. On the way to the table, there are several people standing in the way and talking to each other, I don't want the hot soup to cause burn injuries to anyone so I will say something to warn the people. Which one of the following phrases fits the most in this situation?

1. Coming through.
2. Watch out.
3. Be careful.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Coming through

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:29 pm

I would say either "Coming through!" or "Mind your backs!“

Both of those are the most usual ways of alerting people in this kind of situation, at least in my neck of the woods.

The other possibilities you mentioned are acceptable, but I find them a bit too unspecific and uninformative for this purpose.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:40 pm

I usually say "I'm behind you!"

I wish my husband could be more specific. When I'm driving he'll see something - or thinks he does - and yells, "Watch out!" Not at all helpful. :(
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Yes, Erik's suggestion "mind your backs" is natural, although I have no trouble with "watch out". All you need to do is catch the people's attention. The situation speaks for itself. Actually, I could well hear myself simply saying "Move!".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:08 am

Erik, BonnieL and Phil White : Thank you all so much for your answers. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC