Fly around / cut someone off

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Fly around / cut someone off

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:49 am

A: What Interesting Car Did You See on the Road Today?
B: I saw a newer C63 AMG while I was heading home from work ...interestingly enough the person was driving 30 in a 45mph and people were getting pissed off and flying around him cutting him off. All he really had to do was lightly press the gas pedal and he'd be on their ass in no time. lol.

Hi everybody! I Googled and "fly around" means "To move through the air around someone or something" and "cut someone off" means "to suddenly interrupt someone who is speaking". These two meanings do not fit in this situation. What do they mean in this case?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Fly around / cut someone off

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:18 pm

"Flying around" is being used figuratively to mean "speeding around".

In the context of driving, to cut someone off means to abruptly cut in in front of them, often forcing that person to brake to avoid rear-ending the perp.

When I looked it up, I discovered that the Mercedes C63 AMG is a powerful sports saloon / sedan. So someone driving one at 30 mph in a 45 mph zone would be driving it much more sedately than its designers probably had in mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Fly around / cut someone off

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:37 am

Erik : Thanks so much for your detailed answer. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC