Doofus-dolt

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Doofus-dolt

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm

“Tom Friedman is a very nice guy, he writes very well about climate,” Carville said. “I like to read his columns. But he ought to stay away from writing about politics. Of course, Biden wants to debate Trump. Trump is a doofus-dolt. Biden debated Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, who’s the most on-message politician I’ve seen in my life, Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar.”

- Hi everybody! I Googled the meaning of "doofus-dolt" and I found no results, but I found "doofus" and it means "a fool". What does "doofus-dolt" mean in this situation?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Doofus-dolt

Post by trolley » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:50 pm

"Dolt" also describes a person of low intelligence. A doofus and a dolt are the same thing. I have never seen them combined before. I suspect that Mr. Carville just doubled them up for effect...sort of like "stupid idiot".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:59 pm

"Doofus-dolt" is the coinage of the writer of the paragraph you quoted.

Both doofus and dolt are terms for a fool, but on my opinion they imply different kinds of stupidity.

To me, the Americanism doofus implies a naïve simpleton, or else someone whose lack of intelligence or common sense causes them also to lack good judgment.

A dolt, on the other hand, is a person who is irremediably stupid in the sense that their IQ is too low for them to be capable of normal understanding.

The writer clearly intends his readers to infer that Trump suffers from / inflicts both forms of stupidity.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:44 pm

trolley and Erik : Thank you both very much for your answers. They really help. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC