Sense and Taste

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Sense and Taste

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:10 am

Hi guys! Whenever my brother wears very nice and trendy clothes, my sister gives bad remarks about the clothes because she thinks the clothes are not nice and trendy at all. Which sentence below fits better in this situation?

1. She doesn't have any dress sense.
2. She does not have good taste about clothes.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Sense and Taste

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Yes to 1). It is probably the most idiomatic way of expressing this idea.

You can tweak 2) in a variety of ways:

She {lacks / doesn't have} good taste in clothes.

She has poor taste in clothes

Without any context to modify the interpretation of all these variants, they would normally imply that the person being referred to was incapable of selecting a pleasing wardrobe for themselves.

I avoid this kind of issue in my own life by dressing for comfort and utility most of the time. If other people don't like it, that's their problem except when I am in situations where a formal dress code is enforced or I am attending a formal event.

Maybe your brother could try doing that and telling your sister to get lost. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:04 pm
I avoid this kind of issue in my own life by dressing for comfort and utility most of the time. If other people don't like it, that's their problem except when I am in situations where a formal dress code is enforced or I am attending a formal event.
That's what I do, tho my idea of "comfort and utility" is likely different from yours. When I'm out in public, I prefer long skirts & nice blouses. I thought that was normal until I moved here 20 years ago. I was surprised about the "dressing up" comments I got. People are used to me now, but I figure I still stand out from the run-of-the-mill American slob. But I NEVER comment on what other people wear! :D

PS - You might want to consider wearing skirts - they are much more comfortable than pants, especially in hot weather.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Experience and observation have both taught me that unsolicited commenting on either attire or general appearance is a minefield. Now I avoid it unless I am absolutely sure it will be well received.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:28 am

Erik and BonnieL: Thank you both so much for your help and opinion.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC