Jeans' cuff

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Jeans' cuff

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:38 pm

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com ... n-rong.jpg

Hi everybody! When I see my friend wear her or his jeans like this. She/He forgets to pull down the cuff. Is it correct to say like this?

1. You forgot to pull down your jeans' cuff.
2. You forgot the let your jeans' cuff down.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Jeans' cuff

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Both are fine, in my opinion, except for the typo in 2) ("forgot the"). You could also use "turn down" as well as "pull down" and "let down".

The preposition is separable in all those phrasal verbs, and indeed you have treated it as such in 2).

The apostrophe after "jeans" is optional, as in speech "jeans" can be interpreted here either as a possessive (which would require the apostrophe when writing it) or as a simple adjective. I suspect that most people would perceive it as an adjective in this context. For instance, I think most people here would say "trouser turnup" than "trousers' turnup", where "trouser" is the usual adjectival form derived from "trousers". (Here in Britain, trouser cuffs are commonly known as turnups.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Jeans' cuff

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:09 am

Erik: Thanks a lot for your answer. It is really helpful.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC