Pass and Decline

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Pass and Decline

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:11 pm

A: Are women as visually stimulated as men?

B: Women aren't as exclusively visually stimulated as men are, no. Though looks have always been important to me, I would never be attracted to a guy who isn't intelligent and articulate, no matter how good he looked. He could have the face and body of a Greek god, but if he doesn't have the brain to match, I'll pass.

- Hi guys! Is it totally natural to say "I'm afraid I'll have to decline" instead of "I'll pass" in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Pass and Decline

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 am

"I'm afraid I'll have to decline" is perfectly fine, but it's a super-polite formulation.

In this instance the politeness would be unnecessary, because the speaker is reporting what she would do in a hypothetical situation, not actually declining a potential date or hook-up to their face.

In conversation, it would be more usual to say "I'll pass", "I'll say 'No thanks' ", or something else along similar lines.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Pass and Decline

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Erik : Thanks a lot for your answer. It really helps.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC