Makeup

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Makeup

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:39 pm

https://www.huongnghiep.com.vn/public/i ... h1(92).jpg

Hi everyone! Which sentence is more correct in this case?

1. The man is putting makeup on the woman's face.
2. The man is applying makeup for the woman's face.

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Makeup

Post by trolley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 pm

They both would be correct if #2 was reworded "applying makeup on (or to) the woman's face."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:05 pm

trolley : Thanks a lot for your help. trolley and other members, do the two answers below sound natural in this situation?

A: What are you doing?
B: I'm putting on some makeup getting ready for a party tonight. / I'm applying some makeup on my face getting ready for a party tonight.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm

"Putting" is more colloquial.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Bob is correct. There is also another reason that the second choice sounds less natural. A native speaker would probably leave out the "on my face" part. I'm no expert but I think it would be assumed that's where she is putting it. You're more likely to hear "I'm putting on my makeup" or even "I'm putting on my face" but not "I'm putting my makeup on my face". I'm always amazed that folks who learn English as a second language can possibly hope to keep all these nuances straight. Well done, Steve. Keep at it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Bob: Thanks very much for your answer. trolley : Thanks a lot for your answer and compliment.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC