a Bed-In

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

a Bed-In

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:41 am

A: What is special about the year 1969?

B: That was the year the human race first set foot on a celestial body outside the Earth. The culmination of the Space Race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union peaked at 10:56 EDT July 20, 1969 when Neil Armstrong set foot on the surface of the moon.

That was the big thing. What else happened?

Woodstock.

Elvis makes a comeback.

Jim Morrison is arrested for indecent exposure in Miami.

John and Yoko get married and have a Bed-In for Peace.

- Hi guys! I Googled the meaning of "Bed-In" and it is a verb : 1. (General Engineering) (preposition) engineering to fit (parts) together accurately or (of parts) to be fitted together, either through machining or use, as in fitting a bearing to its shaft 2. (preposition) to make or become settled and able to work efficiently in harmony. But B uses it as a noun here. What does it mean in this situation?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: a Bed-In

Post by trolley » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:09 am

I am surprised that you Googled "bed-in" and didn't come up with the complete meaning...in this case. In the 60s a(n) "x-in" was used to describe a gathering of people for a common idea (often a non violent protest). There were love-ins, sit-ins, and probably many other types of "ins". I think John and Yoko invented the "bed-in" or maybe Brian Wilson did...but that's a whole nuther story. Try Googling "bed-in" again (not in an on-line dictionary). The top Google hits (in my area) are all about the explanation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 pm

I think this one gives the definition you're looking for:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bed-in

Respectfully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:57 am

trolley and navi : Thank you both so much. Enjoy your weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC