Diaper

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Diaper

Post by Stevenloan » Sat May 30, 2020 12:08 pm

A: "There is no honor in burning down your city. There is no pride in looting local businesses that have become institutions of a neighborhood." Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey pleaded with his city's residents on Saturday to "do the right thing now" and return home as chaotic demonstrations continued Friday night, hours after a fired city police officer was charged in Monday's death of George Floyd.

B: Resign. Your diaper is full.

- Hi everyone! I Googled the meaning of "one's diaper is full" but found no results. What does "Your diaper is full." mean in this situation?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Diaper

Post by trolley » Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 pm

I can only assume that the insult here is referring to Mayor Frey as a baby. B may think he is weak or childish. It could be a reference to his looks...he does appear to be quite young. Sometimes it is very difficult to figure out what comments made by keyboard warriors are supposed to mean.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 pm

I think it means, "Go away and get yourself cleaned up". In other words, "Come back when you are fresh".
It may be worth mentioning that "diaper" is a word that is never used in the UK. A baby wears a nappy here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 pm

I know it's hard to keep all this straight, in your mind, Steve but try and remember that in Canada (and maybe The States) a nappy is a slang term for a napkin. If you are ever at my house for a barbecue and I offer you a nappy...don't take it the wrong way :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:26 am

trolley and Bob : Thank you both so much for the answers and the interesting word differences. They really help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC