Legroom

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Legroom

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi everyone! I'm in a bus. A woman in front of my seat adjusts her seat backwards pretty much and I don't have much legroom. Is it perfectly okay to say like this?

"Excuse me! Could you please pull your chair forwards a little bit? I don't have enough legroom back here. Thank you."

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Legroom

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Your version is fine except that in a vehicle, the thing you sit on is always called a seat, not a chair. (I think the difference is that a chair always has legs, whereas the term 'seat' is less restrictive regarding the physical design.)

The sole exception to this that I can think of is the term captain's chair, which Yourdictionary.com defines as "a bucket seat with a high back that includes a headrest, as in some vans, light trucks, etc."

That said, as regards a motorcaravan/motorhome I think most people who know about these vehicles would assume that a captain's chair would resemble the traditional design of a non-vehicle-based captain's chair, i.e. it would have armrests. (See the illustration here.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:03 am

I'm a little surprised by that Yourdictionary.com definition. I thought armrests were the defining factor in a captain's chair. In our house, the captain's chair was Dad's chair, at the head of the table. Dining room sets often came with one or two captain's chairs (for the head and/or foot of the table) and the matching side-chairs had no arms.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:42 am

The Yourdictionary definition for a captain's chair (i.e. describing it as a high-backed bucket seat in a vehicle) is the only one I found. Otherwise, in normal usage, a captain's chair is what you describe (see that Merriam-Webster link in my answer).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Erik and trolley : Thank you both very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC