Get you farther in life

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Get you farther in life

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:51 am

Customer: *on the phone* “Hi, I’d like to renew my rental.”

Me: *thinking this is one of our company’s rentals* “I’m sorry, we’re unable to renew rentals over the phone. You’ll need to come in—”

Customer: “What?! Three people told me I could renew a rental over the phone! Look up my account!”

Me: “All right, miss, there seems to be a problem with your account, and even if I could renew it over the phone normally, I would need you to come in for this specific instance so we could fix the account.”

Customer: “F*** you! I talked to three people who told me I could do it over the phone!”

Me: “Miss, I am the only person who even has access to these types of acco—”

Customer: “OH, MY GOD, SHUT THE F*** UP, AND RENEW MY ACCOUNT BEFORE I GET YOU FIRED!”

Me: “I apologize, miss, I am currently the only person running both my department and [another department] and, given that I have two departments’ worth of customers to help and absolutely no desire to keep speaking to you, I am going to hang up on you now. Maybe not berating the one person who could help you would get you farther in life.”

- Hi everyone! I searched the meaning of "get someone farther in life" online but I had no results. What does "get you farther in life" mean in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Get you farther in life

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:40 am

You could replace that phrase by "enable you to make better progress in life".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Get you farther in life

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Erik: I'm sorry for the late response. Thank you so much for your help.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC