Cabinets

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Re: Cabinets

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am

We say kar'-kis but write carcase since the reference is to a case-piece.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cabinets

Post by tony h » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am
We say kar'-kis but write carcase since the reference is to a case-piece.
Are you sure? About case-piece?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Cabinets

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm

tony h wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 pm
gdwdwrkr wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am
We say kar'-kis but write carcase since the reference is to a case-piece.
Are you sure? About case-piece?
Yes, I'm sure that, in furniture-work, carcase is a reference to the basic structure of a case-piece.
It's not like the term gets thrown around the shop a lot...but use of carcase is my habit.
I have written dilemna all my life, too, as have a small sector of humanity, why, we are not sure.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cabinets

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 pm

trolley wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm
We call those upper cabinets and lower cabinets, or just "uppers and lowers" (if we're already discussing cabinets).
Most apropos when dentil-moldings are present.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cabinets

Post by trolley » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 pm

...or dentil crown moulding, although I struggle to cope with it...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cabinets

Post by tony h » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm
tony h wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 pm
gdwdwrkr wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am
We say kar'-kis but write carcase since the reference is to a case-piece.
Are you sure? About case-piece?
Yes, I'm sure that, in furniture-work, carcase is a reference to the basic structure of a case-piece.
It's not like the term gets thrown around the shop a lot...but use of carcase is my habit.
I have written dilemna all my life, too, as have a small sector of humanity, why, we are not sure.
My questions is based on the appearance that carcase/carcass predates case-piece by some 200 years.

From the OED:
1663 B. Gerbier Counsel to Builders 67 Oaken Carcasse.
1679 J. Moxon Mech. Exercises I. ix. Explan. Terms 165 Carcass, is (as it were) the Skelleton of an House, before it is Lath'd and Plaistered.

I could not find case piece in the OED. So
https://www.1stdibs.com/blogs/the-study ... se-pieces/
The term originated in Le Garde-meuble, ancien et moderne — or the Furniture Repository, ancient and modern — a Parisian, bimonthly periodical that served as the interior design resource from 1839 to 1935.


I also found an interesting discussion here:

http://wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=19380
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Cabinets

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 pm

"Carcass, is (as it were) the Skelleton of an House, before it is Lath'd and Plaistered."
While we're at it, cabinetmakers don't make just little cabins.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC
Post Reply