the best player I am playing

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

the best player I am playing

Post by navi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16 pm

1) Tom's the best player I'm playing this week.
2) Tom's the best player I'll play this week.
3) Tom's the best player I play this week.
4) Tom's the best player I am to play this week.

Let's say it is Wednesday and I have already played a few players.

Which of the sentences 1-4 can I use if Tom is the best player I am going to
play and is better than all those I played? (The best of the week)

Which of the sentences 1-4 can I use if Tom is the best player I am going to
play, but I have played better players than him this week?

Which of the sentences 1-4 can I use if I have already played Tom and he
was the best player among those I played and better than those I am going to
play?

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: the best player I am playing

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 pm

The vowels in Navi are AI.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:04 am

Very nice! I hadn't thought of that.
I do think very logically, but does that make a smart person or a very dumb person?! Or both at the same time?!!

Respectfully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:21 pm

As far as I see it, any can be used for your first and third options, but none explicitly convey your second option.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am

navi wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:04 am
I do think very logically, but does that make a smart person or a very dumb person?! Or both at the same time?!!
The day has come and gone when the ability to write "I do think very logically" will begin to exist in a mechanism that in fact does not "think" at all.
The framing involved in the offering of choices of what kind of "person" asserts that "he" "thinks very logically" fools some of the people some of the time.
I do not mean to suggest that anyone who responds to "you" is a fool, but I am suggesting that it is possible that you are not a "person" at all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:38 pm

The whole idea is very interesting. Let's assume I am a machine of sorts. Who has programmed me and why? Does he or she (or it?) read my questions? Does he or she read the replies given to them? How often do I come up with a question? What is the purpose of me? Does the person who has programmed me know the answers to my questions? Maybe that person is the real learner?

Or maybe you're just joking. That seems to be the most rational explanation, actually, but there is something in your tone that makes me think otherwise.

In any case, I don't think I can prove that I am not a machine, if indeed, there are machines complicated enough to delve into grammar the way I do.

BTW there seems to be something off with the sequence of tenses in your first sentence. Was that a test? Maybe I failed and proved that I am indeed a machine!! No human would have noticed that!!!!!

Funny situation.

Respectfully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, the idea is interesting, the situation is funny, and the tenses were mixed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC