Turn up

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Turn up

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am

A: It's way too cold in here. Could you please turn up the temperature? / Could you please turn the air-conditioner up?
B: Sure. Just a sec.

Hi guys! Which one sounds more natural to you between the two questions "Could you please turn up the temperature?" and "Could you please turn the air-conditioner up?"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Turn up

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Both sound fine to me.

You've reminded me of a usage that I find particularly troublesome. It's often unclear what a person means when they speak of turning the A/C up. Do they mean that they want it to work harder (i.e. bring the temperature down further), or do they mean that they want to make the temperature go up?

To turn the heating up (or down), by contrast, is not ambiguous.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:23 am

If "It's way too cold in here" is part of the request, then most any wording ought to work; reference to the thermostat, turning it up or down, would perhaps help your servant know what-to-do.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Erik and gdwdwrkr : Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am

You're welcome Stevenloan.
As a rule, turning a machine "up" increases what-it-does, which in this case would make it even colder in here!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC