Plate

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Plate

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 am

Hi you guys! I know "plate" means "a flat, usually round dish with a slightly raised edge that you eat from or serve food from". But could you please let me know what it means in the following short paragraph?

"It seems that Dwayne Johnson couldn’t be busier. With several upcoming projects, his most intriguing future project is the recently announced Fast and Furious spin-off. Johnson’s plate is packed with the upcoming release of his third movie of 2017, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, out on December 20. Other projects include the action-thriller Skyscraper, the arcade game monster movie Rampage, and Disney’s Jungle Cruise."

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Plate

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 am

Here, 'plate' relates to the same literal object that you quoted a definition for, except that in this context it is also being used metaphorically to mean 'program(me), to-do list, unfinished tasks' etc. (i.e. the contents of the plate).
Post actions:

Re: Plate

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 am

Erik : Thank you so much for your very easy to understand answer. It really helps.
Post actions:

End of topic.