Smoking device

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Smoking device

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call this kind of long and round device? In my country people use it to smoke. Have you guys ever tried it?

http://vietbao.vn/vi/Media/Chum-anh-Phu ... 21199/827/

Your answers would be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Smoking device

Post by tony h » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:49 pm

I have never seen one. I would describe it as a "smoking pipe" or a "Vietnamese smoking pipe" if I was confident that it was a Vietnamese practice or, possibly a "native bamboo smoking pipe".

Those in the know would use, a badly pronounced, native language name.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:27 pm

I've never seen those bamboo pipes before. Another article says that the draw is taken through water to cool the smoke like a hookah or other water pipe. Those must be the inspiration for the "bong" which I thought was an invention of the '70s.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 am

tony h and trolley : Thank you two so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Steven, could you have a try of spelling what you call the pipe using English letters please?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 am

Bob: I don't understand what you mean. Could you please be more specific?
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 am

I think he's asking you what you call those pipes. Try to spell that Vietnamese word using English letters and rules.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 am

trolley : Now I understand. Thank you. Bob : in Vietnamese, it is spelled like this : TAU HUT THUOC LAO BANG TRE.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:32 pm

That is quite a long name for such a thing Steven. I think that if we were to give it a name, certainly I cannot imagine us using the Vietnamese name. I think that Tony has it with "Vietnamese pipe".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.