Ashtray

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Ashtray

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call the three chinks to put cigarettes on the ashtray?

http://khoahoc.tv/vi-sao-tren-may-bay-c ... -tan-72439

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Ashtray

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:35 pm

I'd go with notch, groove or recess.

My sense is that this feature of an ashtray is not often given any thought by most people, so it lacks a particular term to describe it in everyday usage. Maybe there is a different technical term for it that is used by ashtray designers, but if so I don't know it.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Steven, what was going on in your life when you thought of this question?

It is called a rest. Ash trays were manufactured without rests. For cigars because they are much longer (or can be) the rest is normally either a lot longer than for a cigarette or even a separate item and the ash tray placed under the end of the cigar. Rests with a peg that can be stuck in the ground were also a part of outdoor activities such as picnics and croquet so that you can put down your cigar without it getting damp on the lawn. Pipes don't typically spill ash so an ash tray and a pipe rest are not necessarily found together.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:37 am

Erik and tony h : Thank you guys very very much for the answers. tony h : Nothing serious was going on in my life when I thought of this question. I love English so I would like to know how to use correct and natural English in difficult situations :D .

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 pm

When I was in elementary school we did a fair bit of pottery and clay sculpting. I was terrrible at it, however I always felt safe in the knowledge that no matter how poorly the project was turning out, you only needed to take a pencil and gouge a few grooves around the edge and...voila...you had an ashtray. My Mum and Dad got plenty of ashtrays as gifts on Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, Xmas. Some of them were pretty strange-looking.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am

trolley : Thanks for your input.
Post actions:

End of topic.