Wine

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Wine

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi you guys! I know "a wine guy" means "An oenophile". Is this word applied for men only or for both women and men?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Wine

Post by trolley » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm

An oenophile could be either, but a wine guy is a guy. I guess his counter part would be a wine girl or a wine gal or something like that although I've never heard those terms used. Actually, I've never used "oenophile" or "wine guy" either. I probably call them wine-lovers or connoisseurs.
Last edited by trolley on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm

trolley wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm
I probably call them wine-lovers or connoisseurs.
I'd go with connoisseur. That would describe several people in my family (tho not me - I don't drink), including those that own a winery.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 pm

trolley and BonnieL : Thank you guys so so much for the terms.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Bonny! Someone in your family owns a winery and you don't drink? What a waste of a relation! :D
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 am

Bobinwales wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm
Bonny! Someone in your family owns a winery and you don't drink? What a waste of a relation! :D
My sister & her husband buy it by the case, so my cousins aren't losing any business! :lol:
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Wine guy sounds, to me, rather odd. If I heard "Where is the wine guy?". I would assume some was looking for the wine waiter. It would be rare to find a wine waiter who was an oenophile. Mostly they learn the prices, (half) read the tasting notes and assume a haughty air!

If I heard "He's a bit of a wine guy" I would assume he has some knowledge, buys a few good bottles and has some storage that he likes to call his "cellar". But the truth is there is no temperature control to ensure the wines are in good state and very little evidence of tasting records.

If I heard: "Should we get some beer in for Jesus?" "No He's a wine guy. But water will do" (John2 Chapter 2 verses 6 to 9) I would understand simply that his preferred drink was wine with no great sense of his expertise.

Certainly I would not describe an oenophile as a wine-guy nor would I expect, but I would be open to the possibility, that the wine guy was an oenophile.

Hope this helps.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.