Hat and jacket

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hat and jacket

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call the kind of black hat and the kind of light pink jacket that Rod Stewart's wife wears?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainm ... ny-9797807

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Hat and jacket

Post by BonnieL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

The shoulder wrap would be a stole, but don't know about the hat - it's pretty old-fashioned.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:33 pm

My dearly beloved suggests that the hair adornment is a fascinator defined as : a woman's light, decorative headpiece consisting of feathers, flowers, beads, etc. attached to a comb or hair clip.

BonnieL - I am tempted to agree with you on "stole" but the fact that it is tied, says my dearly beloved, means that it isn't a stole but, rather, a wrap.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by BonnieL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm

I was only aware of the very old version of fascinator - a scarf. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary!

As to stole or wrap - it can go either way.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 am

BonnieL and tony : Thank you two so so much for the terms. They're really helpful.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm
I was only aware of the very old version of fascinator - a scarf. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary!
I must reciprocate : I wasn't aware of the old meaning. I don't see the fashion returning : http://www.karensvariety.com/images/COP ... or1049.jpg
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Nice photo, Tony. I think my Mum had some of those things covering the extra tissue rolls stacked on the tank of the toilet!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:33 am

trolley wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 pm
I think my Mum had some of those things covering the extra tissue rolls stacked on the tank of the toilet!
Assinators?
Post actions:

End of topic.