Case

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Case

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:09 am

Hi you guys! Do you call this "an attached gem cell phone case" or "an appended stone mobile phone case"?

https://kennshops.files.wordpress.com/2 ... m-xanh.jpg

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Case

Post by trolley » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I guess those are both acceptable descriptions...as far as having people understand what you mean. Certainly, you'd never hear a native speaker of English (from any country) use either. It's a decorative cell (mobile) phone case. If you felt the need to describe the decorations you could say it's rhinestone covered cell phone case. That sort of gaudy, "over the top" decoration is known as "bling". My daughter would probably say that cell cover was "blinged out". In the seventies there was a product called the "BeDazzler" that you could use to apply rhinestones, metal studs and other glitzy bits to jeans, jackets, boots, hand bags, etc. Over time the term "bedazzled" has come to mean something that has been excessively spruced up, particularly with cheap adornments. If you said said that cell case was bedazzled I'd wager that Erik and Bonnie would understand what you meant...I'm not sure if the BeDazzler's impact reached all the way to the other Wizards.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:48 am

Hi Steve. I would use the word "embellished" to describe the mobile case.

She had a mobile phone case that was embellished with colourful gems.

WoZ who has been known to embellish the truth
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by BonnieL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 am

I'd get "blinged out" sooner than "bedazzled." The 70's was too far back for my aging memory cells. ;)

Tho with some thought I do remember the gadget & the fad - which hasn't seem to have gone anywhere. Or was it resurrected? It seems that everything is covered by rhinestones now! I hate the things. :(
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:12 am

Bonnie I often had a very funny image of the Rhinestone Cowboy. I mean how gay can you get?

WoZ the Blingless
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:27 am

trolley, WoZ and BonnieL : Thank you all so so much for the terms. They're very useful.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:30 am

Just to clarify...there are stretches of the seventies that I have trouble recalling, as well. I only put Bonnie and Erik in the mix because of our North American connection and not their age range. Maybe "bedazzled" is not as common as I imagined.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:39 am

I would go for:
- jewelled phone case
- phone case decorated with jewels
-
I am not particularly familiar with the use of "bling" and but it has to me the concept of adding jewels just for the sake of making it sparkly. In this case the jewels form part of the art (ie they make a picture) and therefore I wouldn't advertise the case as bling but, in seeing it (eg my daughter bought one and showed it to me) I might say "that's very bling".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

tony h : Thanks very much for your input and the phrases.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:54 pm

tony h wrote:I am not particularly familiar with the use of "bling" and but it has to me the concept of adding jewels just for the sake of making it sparkly.
If I watch Firefly & Serenity another time or 2, I'll start saying things are "shiny." Rest in peace, Shepherd Ron Glass. :(
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:06 pm

tony h wrote:I am not particularly familiar with the use of "bling" and but it has to me the concept of adding jewels just for the sake of making it sparkly.
Ummmm.... Am I being particularly dense, but is there any other possible motivation for adding jewels, particularly fake ones, to anything?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:03 pm

I think that I would call it, "Bloody horrible"!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 am

Phil White wrote:
Ummmm.... Am I being particularly dense, but is there any other possible motivation for adding jewels, particularly fake ones, to anything?
I meant to imply that for something to be "bling" it need have no great artistic value, it just needs gold and sparkle probably to excess.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC