Device

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Device

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:23 am

Hello all members! When you live in an apartment building, especially a quite high floor, you will have difficulty having enough signal to make phone calls or send text messages, and you need to install a device in your apartment so that it can help you have enough signal making phone calls or sending text messages. What do you call this device?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chuy%C3% ... itech-kien

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Device

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:59 am

I didn't now such things existed Steven, and after a two minute search on Google I found out why. Their use is illegal in the UK.

"The unlicensed use of mobile repeaters could result in a fine of up to £5,000 and up to a year in prison".

This is what Ofcom is all about.

And THIS is what they have to say about signal boosters and repeaters.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Boosters are legal here as long as they don't cause a problem for the regular provider. I was thinking of getting one, but then a new cell tower was put up nearby & I get a decent signal.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:01 am

Bobinwales and BonnieL : Thank you two very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 am

Gee Steve I didn't even know these things existed but maybe just as well because,
Despite what you might see online, mobile repeaters are illegal to operate without consent. It’s an offence to operate an unlicensed radiocommunications device and heavy fines or imprisonment can apply. So don’t let things get ugly! Improve your mobile reception the right way.

It is an offence under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 (the Act) to operate an unlicensed radiocommunications device, or possess this device for the purpose of operation. A person found guilty of this offence may be imprisoned for two years for each offence. A body corporate may receive a penalty of up to $270,000 (1,500 penalty units) per offence (sections 46 and 47 of the Act). Other penalties may apply, such as the interference offence provisions at Part 4.2 of the Act.
I don't know if this applies in Vietnam but a point worth noting is the following.
The terms mobile phone boosters and mobile phone repeaters are sometimes used interchangeably, but under Australian law the difference is clear. A mobile phone booster uses a physical wired connection to a single mobile phone handset, while mobile phone repeaters are designed to communicate with multiple mobile handsets by means of radiofrequency energy.
WoZ boosted and repeated
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC