Station

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Station

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi you guys! What do you call the station in the following link? It's used to transmit signal so that cell phone or mobile phone users can make phone calls or send text messages.

http://htptelecom.com/cot-dien-btlt-ung ... minimizer/

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Station

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:07 pm

I would call it a mast.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Americans would call it a cell tower or cellphone tower. See Wikipedia for more information, especially regarding the criteria for distinguishing between masts and towers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:16 am

Bobinwales and Erik_Kowal : Thank you two a lot.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 am

In Aus Steve we call them a bloody nuisance. That is the kind of tower nobody wants near them due to the possible risk of medical problems from the emission of low level radiofrequency (RF) electromagnetic energy (EME). The jury is out and it depends who you talk to about the problem but most people aren't prepared to take the risk. For instance nobody thought asbestos was a problem until it was too late for all the workers. However everyone complains if there is a blackspot where you don't get mobile phone reception.

The official way of describing your picture would be that it is mobile phone base station antennas on a tower. They are also on buildings like this. The photo is from South Africa but it is the same as we have here in Aus.

WoZ who likes the Eiffel Tower
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:25 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:That is the kind of tower nobody wants near them due to the possible risk of medical problems from the emission of low level radiofrequency (RF) electromagnetic energy (EME).
There's been a considerable amount of research in this area, but there's very little evidence of any harms arising from radiation in this frequency range.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:27 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:There's been a considerable amount of research in this area, but there's very little evidence of ....
Historically other areas of very little evidence:
- Earth going round sun
- Gravity
- Trump for president
- extra terrestrials
- an afterlife
- an answer to the conundrum of buying flowers for one's wife. Don't buy - you never buy me flowers. Buy - what have you been up to?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC