Display

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Display

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Hello all members! First of all, no offence about my question up ahead. I would just like to ask about natural and correct English. Is it correct and common to say "Mariah Carey displays pretty much of her breasts" in the picture of the link below?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK0bLo7hHmY/

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Display

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Not quite, Steve. “Pretty much” is a set phrase that means almost, or very nearly. It does not mean “a lot” or “most” so you wouldn’t use “of”. “I was pretty much finished. The fight was pretty much over.”
Mariah Carey is showing a lot of cleavage.
Mariah Carey is pretty much showing her breasts.
If you are using “most of” or “a lot of” then you would need to use a term for the entire area, such as bosom or bust or cleavage. If you said she was showing a lot of her breasts…that could mean a whole udder thing
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Steve if you wanted to stick with your original sentence it only needs the addition of one little word >>

"Mariah Carey displays pretty much all of her breasts." This is of course a subjective statement as what is a lot to you may only be a tease to me. In the picture you referenced I would be inclined to say that >>

"Mariah Carey displays a fair amount of her breasts." or >>

"Mariah Carey gives us an eyeful of her boobs."

WoZ who is a boob man.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by trolley » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:12 pm

"Mariah Carey displays pretty much all of her breasts."

...is it just me, or does this leave open the possibility that she has 13 breasts and she is showing us 10 or 11 of them?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:27 am

trolley and WoZ : Thank you two very much for the input. Your suggestive versions are incredibly fascinating.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 am

Trolley yes I can see that and if it was a painting by Australian artist Del Katharine Barton I might agree as she often paints women with multiple mammaries. However in Mariah Carey's case I think she only has 2 albeit a bloody marvellous two.

WoZ on a boob search
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC