Boat

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Boat

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello all members! What is the general term for this kind of boat?

http://www.yahta.ru/preowned/38691.shtml

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Boat

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:34 pm

The most general term would probably simply be a "speedboat".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Aka motor boat. But I don't go on water if I can help it, so the term may be out of date.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:05 pm

There's also motor launch for motor boats that are not specifically designed with high speed in mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:10 am

I would like to thank you all so so much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:00 am

Steve I had trouble with the general term speedboat. Speedboats are built for that, speed. They are generally used for racing or towing skiers. They have no accommodation for overnight stays. They can be used for low level fishing.

The boat you referenced is regarded as a cruiser
The 240 Sundancer is the entree to Sea Ray's line of popular express cruisers. It is a perfect entry-level boat for small families or a couple getting started in cruising.
Cruisers have below deck sleeping and eating facilities. If you go to this page you can see the progression in size and below deck living space.

WoZ who used to crooooze
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 am

WoZ : Thanks for the link and your input.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC