Have a good one

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Have a good one

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:55 am

Hi you guys! Do you and people where you live usually use "Have a good one!" to mean "Goodbye and have a nice day!"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Have a good one

Post by trolley » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:13 pm

It's quite common, here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:27 pm

It's a qualified 'yes' to your question, Steven. 'Usually use' is putting it a bit strongly, but I think that 'often use' is pretty accurate.

I've heard this valediction most frequently in the USA, where the expression appears to have originated, though you'll also hear it in Britain. (I also use it myself now and again.)

The first time an entry for it appeared at Urbandictionary.com was in March 2009, which suggests that it was at that time a pretty recent coinage. (According to the Wikipedia article about Urbandictionary, the website was launched in 1999 but only began to gain significant popularity in about 2003.)

The expression "Have a good one!" appears three years earlier in McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions (2006).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:03 pm

trolley and Erik_Kowal : Thank you so so much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:05 am

This expression is used in Aus but with a slight difference. It is generally used when the person you are speaking to is going to do something specific.

For example you may meet your mate on his way to golf. You have a short chat and then by way of parting you would say, "Have a good one." Do you see what I mean?

WoZ having a good one doing nothing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:47 am

WoZ : Thanks for pointing out the slight difference of the meaning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC