Benefits

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Benefits

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:57 am

A: You help me get the contract and I help you get the confidential file. Both parties have benefits. Okay?
B: It’s a deal.

- Hi there you guys! I use the sentence "both parties have benefits" to mean "You will have your own benefit and I will have mine". Do I use it correctly in this context?

Thanks a lot,

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Benefits

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:06 pm

No. "Both parties have benefits" is not what you want to say. "Both parties will have benefited" would be more like it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:37 am

.. Steve my go would be >>

A: You help me get the contract and I help you get the confidential file. Both parties have benefits of us will benefit. Okay?
B: It’s a deal.

WoZ who wants in on the deal
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:25 am

- Bobinwales,WoZ! Thank you very much for your correction. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 am

.. Steve if you wanted to make it more colloquial then you could say >>

A: You help me get the contract and I help you get the confidential file. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Done?
B: Done.

WoZ who loves a back scratch
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. Steve if you wanted to make it more colloquial then you could say >>

A: You help me get the contract and I help you get the confidential file. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Done?
B: Done.

There's nothing like having benefits with friends.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. .. ..
I thought the Australian term was 'outback scrub'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC