a man injured in the house

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

a man injured in the house

Post by navi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:06 pm

1-We saw a man injured in the house.

Does this mean:
a-We saw a man get injured in the house.
b-We saw a man who had been injured while he was in the house. (maybe he was not in the house when we saw him.
c-We saw a man who was injured and who was in the house.

Gratefully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: a man injured in the house

Post by trolley » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:01 pm

It could mean any or all of those things. It is up to you to convey to the listener exactly what you saw. If there is a way to express it that leaves no doubt...that's always your best choice.

“If language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant; if what is said is not what is meant, then what must be done remains undone; if this remains undone, morals and art will deteriorate; if justice goes astray, the people will stand about in helpless confusion. Hence there must be no arbitrariness in what is said. This matters above everything.”

Confucius
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:45 am

.. Navi this is your sentence >> We saw a man injured in the house. .. my first response is What is his "house"? as the implication to me is that it is the mysterious "house" that was injured .. I think it is a very poorly constructed sentence and whoever wrote it needs to completely revise how to communicate to the reader what it is they mean to say ..

.. please have another go at it ..

WoZ covering his house in case it gets injured
Last edited by Wizard of Oz on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by JerrySmile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:37 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote: I think it is a very poorly constructed sentence
Indeed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 am

.. I notice that in my previous post there are some words, viz completely and please, that appear in upper case .. I did not post it that way and my attempts to correct the problem do not work .. Erik is this part of the WW hack problem ?? ..

WoZ not shouting
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. I notice that in my previous post there are some words, viz completely and please, that appear in upper case .. I did not post it that way and my attempts to correct the problem do not work .. Erik is this part of the WW hack problem ??
I see that you have now been able to edit those words. I don't know what the original problems (mysterious capitalization, apparent uneditability) were due to. But as far as I know, the recent spam attack was not responsible for them, and I can't see what the point of that kind of interference might be in any case.

Anyway, things now seem to be back to normal.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 am

.. normal as they can be around here ..

WoZ popping pills
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 am

Thank you all very much.
Wizard of Oz wrote:.. Navi this is your sentence >> We saw a man injured in the house. .. my first response is What is his "house"? as the implication to me is that it is the mysterious "house" that was injured .. I think it is a very poorly constructed sentence and whoever wrote it needs to completely revise how to communicate to the reader what it is they mean to say ..

.. please have another go at it ..

WoZ covering his house in case it gets injured
I did not get your reply the first time I read it! Thanks.

Every man's head is his house!

Respectfully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 am

Now Woz, that puts a whole new dimension of meaning on "house party" and "full house".

A man was stabbed in the Gorbals yesterday.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:58 pm

It could have been worse. He could have been stabbed in his pajamas.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 am

I'd say interpretation C is very unlikely; 'We saw an injured man in the house' would be the normal way of putting this.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC