The Mayor's Apostrophe

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Re: The Mayor's Apostrophe

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:09 pm

I will dodge the racism neatly by telling you that in Welsh it is quite boringly, "Parlwr Maer".

Ex-mayors are called Past Mayors or Former Mayors. Ex-mayors actually tend to be dead.

If in a meeting neither Mayor or the Deputy Mayor are available to take the chair, the Previous Past Mayor does the job.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:30 am

.. "Parlwr Maer" .. and not a bloody apostrophe in sight .. Bob do they have apostrophes in Welsh ?? (genuine question) ..

WoZ has left da room
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes there is an apostrophe in Welsh, but not as you know it! It is used to mark elision of the definite article yr ("the") following a vowel (a, e, i, o, u, w, y), such as i’r tŷ "to the house". It is also used with the particle yn, such as with mae hi’n "she is".

Have a read of this BBC site. It explains what happens when we use the apostrophe s in English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:That doesn't always seem to apply. To take the most obvious example, nine times out of ten the average Briton refers to Queen Elizabeth as I just did, namely by both her title and her first name (sometimes prefaced by 'Her Majesty', depending on how formal the occasion is or the context and formality of the written medium in which she is being referred to).

There are convoluted rules laid down by other agencies than the Grammar Police when it comes to allowable forms of address for the nobility. Thus Princess Anne; but Sarah, Duchess of York rather than Duchess Sarah, if I'm not mistaken.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:45 pm

In line with the modern tendency to drop the apostrophe for associative-rather-than-true-possessive usages, as in dogs home and working mens club, I'd go with Erik's third suggestion and Bob's gracious concession of Mayors Parlour (assuming the taxpayer really owns it).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 am

.. Bob I had a look at that handy BBC page .. my problem is that I need to research how the sounds of Welsh are represented in written Welsh .. I noticed that you listed 7 vowels by including /y/ and /w/ .. one day I will try to get my tongue around it .. maybe there are more important aspects of Welsh culture that I need to learn .. like beer politics .. why the Scarlets can't beat the Wallabies .. hee hee ..

WoZ wishing he was at Millenium
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:44 am

I'll have to think about it, WoZ. We get the pronunciations with our mothers' milk, so never think about it. As for beer and rugby...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:06 am

.. we can talk again now Bob .. we tried to lose the game by giving you the ball back in the last 50 seconds .. how fair is that ?? .. well at least it wasn't the bloody poms .. they got done by the ABs .. great result AND the Irish beat the Boks .. AND the bonnie boys in blue kicked the Pumas bum .. so for me a bloody great start to the home country Tests ..

Wallaby WoZ
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Not quite the start that I would have preferred!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC