with the long, dark hair

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

with the long, dark hair

Post by navi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 am

Which are correct:

1-He was talking to his girlfriend with the long, dark hair.
2-He was talking to his girlfriend with her long, dark hair.
3-He was talking to his girlfriend with long dark hair.

They are supposed to mean:
He was talking to his girlfriend who had long dark hair.

It seems to me that 1 and 2 work although that 'structure' is not that common.

Gratefully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: with the long, dark hair

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 am

They are all understandable, but they are also all subject to the perverse interpretation "He was talking to his girlfriend by means of an object which consisted of [her/the] long dark hair".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:22 pm

And 1 and 3 both suggest that he had multiple girlfriends. He was talking to the one with the long, dark hair.

Number 2 sounds very odd, and Erik's perverse interpretation was the first that crossed my perverse mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:39 am

The standard way to write this would be:
"He was talking to his girlfriend, who had long dark hair".
If her hair is described by only one attribute rather than two, another option is possible:
"He was talking to his long-haired girlfriend"
or
"He was talking to his dark-haired girlfriend".
But you cannot say:
"He was talking to his long, dark-haired girlfriend"
because of the possible confusion about whether 'long' describes the girlfriend or her hair.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:54 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:If her hair is described by only one attribute rather than two, another option is possible:
"He was talking to his long-haired girlfriend"
or
"He was talking to his dark-haired girlfriend".
These both suffer from the ambiguity in respect of the number of girlfriends he has.

In a discourse context in which people are expected to have only one girlfriend, the suggestions are adequate. The syntax in itself, however is not unambiguous:
He was talking to his German aunt.
Which explains why he was speaking German. If he had been speaking to his Australian aunt, he would have been speaking some other language.
I am beginning to think that navi is writing a thesis on the adequacy of English syntax for distinguishing between defining and non-defining meaning, and the answer is the same as the last half-dozen times: context, context, context. Syntax and punctuation alone are rarely sufficient.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes. One can imagine Groucho going from his no-nonsense mode with

"He was talking to his girlfriend ..."

to his 'strange-interlude' eyebrows-raised talk-to-the-moon mode for

"with her lo-o-o-o-ong da-a-a-a-ark hai-ai-air".

Even Erik's standard version "He was talking to his girlfriend, who had long dark hair" is really forcing two disparate notions into a single sentence. "The man in the hospital bed suddenly noticed the stranger, whose hobbies included archaeology and keeping newts" is perhaps a clearer example of a sentence that is grammatically correct but better avoided.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 am

Phil said:

Which explains why he was speaking German. If he had been speaking to his Australian aunt, he would have been speaking some other language.
.. gee Phil that's a bit harsh .. just some other language ?? .. we do give english a fair suck of the sav ..

WoZ grinning
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:14 am

Phil White wrote:These both suffer from the ambiguity in respect of the number of girlfriends he has.
I think Navi ought to clarify just how many girlfriends this fellow actually possesses. It would make my life a lot simpler.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 am

navi originally wrote:
They are supposed to mean:
He was talking to his girlfriend who had long dark hair.
By the strict rules of punctuation that he often queries, this is a defining relative clause, so he has multiple girlfriends. But in a recent reply I pointed out that punctuation alone is unreliable. Without putting too fine a point on it and at the risk of repeating myself: IT'S ALL ABOUT CONTEXT.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by JerrySmile » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:27 am

navi wrote: 1-He was talking to his girlfriend with the long, dark hair.
2-He was talking to his girlfriend with her long, dark hair.
3-He was talking to his girlfriend with long dark hair.
To explicitly assign features to a character, and eventually pile and pile on them, by using "with" is old-fashioned writing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Thank you all so very much for your kind replies.

All your comments were truly helpful.

I had to look up 'fair suck of the sav'. Sometimes one also finds things one did not come looking for. And that possibility makes the search all the more fun.

I can't believe I, of all people, missed the comma in 'his girlfriend, who had long, dark hair'. I meant to put in a comma. My apologies.

I am not writing a thesis, although I can see why you might suspect that I am. It would not necessarily be a bad thing, at least for me.

Gratefully and respectfully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC